We need you to take a stand against harmful legislation that raises taxes and costs and kills local jobs. Senate Bill 1530 on Cap-an-Trade is being considered by lawmakers in the Senate THIS WEEK. Senators will be hearing public testimony on Saturday at 10:00am in Hearing Room C at the Capitol. It is critical that legislators hear from you on the impact this bill has on working Oregonians. We need your voice to tell legislators that Oregonians cannot afford SB 1530 on Cap-and-Trade.
Below are some talking points for testimony. We encourage you to make your comments personal.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when testifying:
- SB 1530 on Cap-and-Trade hurts small businesses and working Oregonians. Cap-and-Trade brings with it increased costs of everyday items like fuel, electricity, food and household goods. The average family would pay an estimated $700 - $1,000 more per year in higher costs for these items, including an immediate 22-cent increase in gas prices.
- SB 1530 on Cap-and-Trade hurts our economy with lost jobs and backroom deal-making. Politically-connected corporations would have an unfair advantage to escape the tax, while less politically-connected businesses would face higher taxes and costs. Cap-and-Trade would cost Oregon thousands of living-wage jobs as businesses move to other states with higher carbon emissions.
- SB 1530 on Cap-and-Trade hurts Oregonians with wasteful spending. Cap-and-Trade would allow unelected state bureaucrats to raise taxes and costs on businesses and consumers - without a vote of the legislature - at a rate of $700 million per year. There is no accountable plan for spending the additional money.
- Arrive early and get your name on the list to testify to ensure you have the opportunity to share your comments.
- Testimony will be limited to two minutes per person, so make sure you can make your key points in the time allotted.
- Be sure to reference SB 1530, the Cap-and-Trade bill, when you testify.
- If you are unable to testify in person, you can submit written testimony by sending your comments to: email@example.com.
- For more details about the hearings, please see the Legislature's website: https://olis.oregonlegislature.gov/liz/2020R1/Committees/SENR/2020-02-04-15-00/Agenda
Cap-and-Trade hurts Oregonians across the state by saddling businesses and families with additional taxes and costs, ultimately harming our economy and way of life. This is a California-sized policy that would burden Oregonians with additional taxes and increased costs that impact everyday life.
Contact your senator.