The Oregon Department of Revenue is inviting business taxpayers and tax preparers to take part in discussions of the administrative rules for the state's new Corporate Activity Tax. Traveling across Oregon, rule writers will sit down in a series of meetings over the next three weeks to hear the concerns, questions, and suggestions of those affected by the rules.
The meetings in the Portland area include:
Thursday, September 19, 5:30 to 7 p.m., City of Beaverton Griffith Building Room 150, 4755 SW Griffith Drive, Beaverton.
Thursday, October 3, 5:30 to 7 p.m., Portland State Office Building Room 1B, 800 NE Oregon St, Portland.
For those who are unable to attend the in-state meetings, DOR is planning a series of conference call meetings. Those meetings will be scheduled once the in-state tour is complete.
At all meetings, Department of Revenue representatives will ensure two-way conversations and do their best to answer questions from attendees. They'll also seek input from attendees to help guide the rule-making process. Issues expected to be discussed include:
- Who must register.
- When and how businesses register.
- Who must file and who must pay the tax.
- Annual returns based on calendar year activity.
- How corporate activity is defined. (Of particular interest to ASA members)
- Exemptions for charitable organizations.
- Exclusions for groceries, subcontractors, wholesalers, and others.
- What counts toward the 35 percent subtraction.
- How estimated payments will be calculated.
- When estimated payments are due.
You can find more information about the Corporate Activity Tax, including a list of frequently asked questions, and sign up for email notifications about CAT on the Department of Revenue website :
Those who are unable to attend but want to provide input can email questions or comments to cat.help.dor@Oregon.gov
OSCC will keep members updated on the progress of the rulemaking, BUT any specific questions or concerns that OSCC members want addressed need to be communicated to us so that we can provide input and comment to DOR.